On Tuesday this week, I had the honor to participate as a guest on a panel for FanFi Addict’s #TBRCon2022. (You might recall I was also a guest last year.) For the uninitiated TBRCon is a completely free online convention for all manner of speculative fiction—horror to science fiction to fantasy. Once again, I had an absolute blast. I joined the “History of Horror” panel moderated by Mother Horror herself, Sadie Hartmann, featuring a great group of fantastic horror writers, including Adam Cesare, Tim Meyer, Laurel Hightower, and Gabino Iglesias. I’ve found that people in the horror community are always excited to welcome and meet fellow writers and fans and this group was no exception. Conversations like this feel like conversations with family and given the chance we could have gone on for hours.
Like last year, I’ve embedded the recording above. The whole discussion is a little over an hour, and we delve not just into Horror’s history and origins but also where we think it’s going as a genre in the future. In the end, we all give out a ton of fantastic recommendations of some of our favorite recent or classic horror reads and I’ll link those below.
Big thanks to Sadie for her efforts at wrangling us, and thank you to my fellow panelists for being so welcoming. David Walters of FanFiAddict deserves considerable praise for doing so much of the heavy lifting behind the scenes. Be sure to subscribe to all of FanFi’s social media channels, so you don’t miss out on what he’s up to next.
It ain’t over! #TBRCon2022 continues through Sunday, January 30th! You can find out much more here and tune in for free on YouTube, Twitch, and Facebook. Miss a panel you wanted to see? All recordings of previous discussions are posted on FanFi Addict’s YouTube page. Be sure to go back and check out the panels you might have missed. There are a ton of great content to peruse at your leisure.
“History of Horror” Panel Recommendations
At the end of the panel, we all talked about what we were working on and shared some recommendations. I’ve tried to list them all and include any specific books that were mentioned. Links go to the author’s webpage or blog, and most book links will go to Indiebound.(Support your local bookstore!)
- Tim Meyer – The Switch House
- Gabino Inglesias – Coyote Songs
- Laurel Hightower – Crossroads, Below (Coming Soon)
- C. S. Humble – All the Subtle Decites (Coming Soon)
- Christopher Buehlman – Between Two Fires, The Lesser Dead
- V. Castro – Mestiza Blood
- Christopher Golden – Road of Bones
- Charles L. Grant – The Tea Party, The Pet
- Stephen Graham Jones
- Thomas Piccirilli – The Choir of Ill Children (Publisher Link)
- Gretchen Felker-Martin – Manhunt
- Hailey Piper – Your Mind Is a Terrible Thing (Coming Soon!)
- Rachel Harrison – Cackle, The Return
- Gus Moreno – This Thing Between Us
- Cassandra Khaw – Nothing But Blackened Teeth, The All-Consuming World
- Rhonda Jackson Joseph
- Cynthia Pelayo